Answers Sought on Working Conditions On Sites Throughout West Yorkshire
The widow of a Yorkshire painter and decorator who died from asbestos-related cancer has made a moving appeal for help in discovering where her husband may have come into contact with the asbestos that claimed his life.
Eddie Hampshire, 69, died on 14 August 2019 in Scarborough Hospital, two months after being given a diagnosis of mesothelioma. A terminal cancer of the lining of the lungs, mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
Following Eddie’s death, his wife Gloria, 60, instructed asbestos-related disease experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her husband’s illness and where his exposure to asbestos occurred.
Gloria has now joined with the legal team in making an appeal for anyone who may remember Eddie to come forward with information on the working conditions he faced during his career.
As a painter, decorator, plumber and general handyman, Eddie was based in Bradford and worked throughout West Yorkshire for several employers between 1968 and 1975, including:
Chas H. Potts & Co; English Electric Co Limited; H. Lister & Son
Expert Opinion“Eddie’s mesothelioma came as a shock to Gloria and the family and as in so many cases that we deal with, they had never heard of the disease until the original diagnosis.
“Given the short space of time from Eddie’s diagnosis to his death, he didn’t have time to give Gloria details of where he may have encountered asbestos.
“Eddie’s job led him to work for over 20 firms. If anyone who worked with Eddie between 1968 and 1975 could come forward, it would be invaluable as we piece together his work history, It would also mean a lot to a family still coming to terms with Eddie’s sudden and unexpected death.” Ian Toft - Partner
In June, 2019, Eddie was told after going into hospital that the lining of his lungs was thicker than normal and that it might be mesothelioma. Unfortunately, his health deteriorated so quickly, he was unable to take advantage of palliative radiotherapy or chemotherapy treatment.
A post-mortem examination confirmed the cause of Eddie’s death to be malignant mesothelioma.
Eddie leaves two adult daughters from a previous relationship. Eddie and Gloria met 22 years ago and married in 2009. After Eddie’s retirement six years ago, the couple moved from Bradford to Filey.
Speaking on behalf of the family, Gloria said: “Losing Eddie so quickly has come as a terrible shock to the whole family.
“Following the diagnosis, a nurse at the hospital was taking notes while a doctor asked Eddie questions and Eddie mentioned that he had worked in places where asbestos was present.
“The doctor spoke about the treatment options open to us, but everything happened so fast.
“While Eddie was ill it was dreadful. I didn’t receive much support because of how quickly he deteriorated and one of Eddie’s daughters would take care of him, while I went to work.
“Eddie’s death has robbed us of our retirement together and his daughters of their father. It was all so fast that we struggled to pay for the funeral and I had to move out of the home we shared and into a flat.
“Eddie had several employers over the years but if someone out there does remember working with him and could come forward with what they know, we would all be so grateful.”
Anyone with information that may assist with the case is asked to contact Ian Toft at 0113 2186453 or email Ian.Toft@IrwinMitchell.com