Jason is a senior associate solicitor in the Regulatory and Criminal Investigations team. He qualified as a solicitor in 2005 and has been part of the team since April 2018.
Criminal and Regulatory Offences
Jason has significant experience representing both individuals and businesses accused of criminal and regulatory offences large and small.
Jason is a persuasive advocate with an eye for detail and has a respected reputation as a competent and accomplished defence solicitor. With a proven record of providing realistic advice, he strives to efficiently achieve the best possible outcome for everyone he represents. He absorbs vital information quickly and communicates complex legal advice to clients clearly and comprehensively.
Since joining Irwin Mitchell, Jason has quickly drawn upon his considerable experience and legal knowledge to calmly and assuredly manage a wide variety of cases. He is also comfortable and skilled at dealing with technical experts across the different legal and regulatory fields involved with these cases.
Corporate Risk and Policy
Jason can also turn this experience towards advising on corporate risk and policy measures. Prevention is better than cure, and Jason can help draft and review policy or train staff on key legal and regulatory points.
While based in Sheffield, Jason, like the rest of the team, considers criminal and regulatory cases around the UK.
- Represented the Chief Executive of a charity accused of bribery. No further action taken by the Police after investigation.
- Represented a Company Director in a Police investigation into conspiracy to commit fraud, false accounting and bribery.
- Represented a Pharmacist accused of misconduct, including in a General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) fitness to practice investigation. No further action was taken following the full investigation.
- Defended a client facing enforcement by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) for non-payment of a £4.5m confiscation order.
- Represented a client accused of historic sexual offences. Client found not guilty following Crown Court trial.
- Represented a Social Worker in an ongoing Police investigation relating to an allegation of gross negligence manslaughter
- Advised two Company Directors in an international investigation by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) into alleged fraud, cheating the public revenue and money laundering.
- Advised a former Company Director in an accountancy practice in an investigation by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- Advised the former Regional Sales Director of a leading national engineering specialist in a Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigation of alleged price-fixing.
- Represented an international company in court proceedings relating to motoring offences.
- “Having found myself in a situation which required the services of a solicitor, I was recommended Irwin Mitchell. At the time I was incredibly distressed and confused and didn’t understand what was happening including the police process. Fortunately I was represented by Jason Newall who was very calm and empathic, he took time to fully understand my situation and address my concerns. I felt reassured that I was represented by Jason and his support not just practically but emotionally enabled me to cope with a very traumatic situation." - client
- “Mr Newall comes across as being very professional from the first phone call through to the final representation. Mr Newall shows full compassion and friendliness and puts one at ease right from the start. I cannot think of any improvement to be made.” - client
- "Jason Newall – New head of department, is a strong solicitor and a good generator of work" - Legal 500, 2022