Roy leads the Real Estate team in Manchester. He specialises in real estate development and investment transaction work and also corporate real estate occupier work.
He has been a real estate partner for over 25 years and acts for a variety of clients such as Bruntwood Estates, Bank of New York Mellon, Christie NHS Trust, Chethams Trust, Gazprom, the General Medical Council, Goals Soccer Centres Plc, Manchester City Council, Northpoint Developments, Northwood Investors, Pemberstone, Select Property Group, Sivensway Group and Trafford College together with a number of overseas investors on a variety of investment, development, acquisition, disposal and letting transactions.
- Advising on the estate management of Great Northern Warehouse, Manchester for an overseas investor
- Acting for Manchester City Council in relation to the £20 million plus development of 'HOME' located in Manchester’s First Street area (which will provide a hub for North West arts facilities)
- Acting on the acquisition, development and funding of various student accommodation projects, including at Leeds and Birmingham
- Acting for DAC Beechcroft in relation to the acquisition of 50,000 square feet of office accommodation at the Walbrook Building, London EC4
- Acting on the acquisition of the former BHS distribution hub at Atherstone and its letting to the Royal Mail Group and disposal to Tritax Big Box
- Acting for private investors on the disposal of 123 Deansgate, Manchester.
'Senior Statesperson' - Chambers & Partners, 2022
"I’m always confident that Roy Beckett and his team have a clear understanding of our requirements and that they are going that extra mile to ensure that as a client we get the best possible outcome...
...Roy has a hugely in-depth knowledge of the Manchester commercial real estate market and the transactions that have been done... Roy is able to provide his advice and guidance in clear language that is understandable to those of us who don’t permanently work in this sector." - Legal 500, 2022 (Hall of Fame)
"He's meticulous, so you know that nothing's going to be missed. You can have a really open discussion with him about the pros and cons of a decision." Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Senior Statesperson)
“Roy Beckett at Irwin Mitchell has a hugely in-depth knowledge of the Manchester commercial real estate market and the transactions that have been done. This allows him to advise when to stand firm in lease negotiations and just as importantly when not to. His advice prior to heads of terms being agreed always proves invaluable. Roy is able to provide his advice and guidance in clear language that is understandable to those of us who don’t permanently work in this sector.” - Legal 500 2022 (Hall of Fame)
Roy Beckett has "an exceptional knowledge of the Manchester property market and is able to provide advice on terms ensuring the client has the best available deal. All of this is done in a positive and open manner where all options are clearly explained to the client." – Legal 500, 2021 (Hall of Fame)
His "level of experience and gravitas is a real advantage in negotiations." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
"Roy Beckett is very knowledgeable." – Legal 500, 2020
"Highly experienced in investment deals, as well as commercial development schemes." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
North West Property Lawyer of the Year - Which Lawyer? 2013